Here is an interesting expats infographic which looks at the total expat population around the world.
A few numbers:
- Since 1960, the number of expats triplicated: in 1960 there were “only” 73 million expats worldwide, today we are 230 million!
- 3.1 % of the global population are expats.
- If all the expats of the world were to form an imaginary country, it would be the 5th most populous country in the world and its population would be greater than the ones in Russia, Germany and Brazil.
- If all the expats would form a human chain, it would circle the earth once, i.e. it would be 40,000 km long.
- Women make up 49% of the expat population worldwide, i.e. nearly 113 million, which is more than the population of Canada and the UK put together!
- The top recipient countries of expat remittances are India, China, Mexico, Philippines and Nigeria.
- The top 5 countries with the highest share of expats in total population are Qatar, UAE, Kuwait, Jordan and Singapore.
- There are 6.32 million American and 4.7 million British expats living abroad. – I would have liked to have a more detailed list about this.
- In the time taken for you to read this, 6-7 expats would have moved abroad for the first time!