I just found this interesting expats infographic which looks at the total expat population around the world.
A few numbers:
- In 1960 there were “only” 73 million expats worldwide, today we are 230 million!
- Expats make up the 3.1 % of global population.
- If all the expats of the world were to form an imaginary country, it would be the 5th most populous country in the world and its population would be greater than large countries like Russia and Brazil.
- If all the expats would form a human chain, it would circumnavigate the whole globe (nearly 25,000 miles)
- Women make up 49% of the expat population worldwide, i.e., nearly 113 million, more than the population of Canada and the UK put together!
- The top recipient countries of expat remittances are India, China, Mexico, Philippines and Nigeria.
- The Top 5 countries with the highest share of expats in total population are Qatar, UAE, Kuwait, Jordan and Singapore.
- There are 6.32 million American and 4.7 million British expats living abroad. – I would have liked to have a more detailed list about this.
- In the time taken for you to read this, 6-7 expats would have moved abroad for the first time!